Tuesday 17 August 2010

Day 8 – August 17th 2010 – Umea to Robertfors

After yesterday’s hard ride I was determined to take it easier today.

I had as a target Robertfors which I estimated to be about 50KM, in the end it turned out to be 80KM.

But I am ahead of myself. Slept incredibly well from just before 2100 until 0600. Was a bit miffed to see that the back tyre was flat so changed the inner tube to save time.

One place of note that I went through was Sävar which was the location of the last batte to be fought on Swedish soil between Sweden and Russia in 1809 during the 30 years war.

Battle of Ratan and Sävar

About 40KM into the day I had a double puncture (two in the same place at the same time) so that stopped me for a bit. Wasn’t stressed though as I wasn’t planning on going too far. Then I started wondering what I would do if the Vandrahems were shut because the summer season actually ended on Sunday! I am seeing lots of places closed for the season.

Luck would have it that the golf club had a place to stay so that’s were I am now. The accommodation dates from the 1960’s when this used to be a farm supplying the workers in the nearby Iron Works.

80KM today

No comments: