Thursday 19 August 2010

Day 10 – August 19th 2010 – Skellefteå to Piteå

I do like Vandrahems :) Was a quiet night and the bed was very comfortable. I think it must be the good nights sleep in conjunction knowing that I am not being ripped off by a hotel. I’m still upset with the crappy Scandic in Umeå.

Anyway after a slight late start (breakfast was served at 0700) I left Skellefteå heading for Piteå. Actually if truth be known I wanted to go further as Piteå to Tores looks a long way and as the weather is getting more Autumnal I don’t want to risk cycling long distances in rain/cold.

Anyway the wind was still with me today and it was hard going. Combine this with some truly crap roads (8KM of little stones just itching to give me a puncture) and the fact that I have less and less energy every day made for a miserable morning. Then I remembered I had some kryptonite gel in my bags so I took a squirt and that did the trick.

Arrived in Piteå just after 1400 so grabbed some lunch and then went looking for somewhere to stay. I had passed the Vandrahem earlier so headed back there only to find they were full!!! They were able to point me to an alternative hostel which is where I am now. However I almost had a disaster when the young lad forgot to give me some sheets and a towel!! I certainly didn’t want to have to dry myself with a tee-shirt and then sleep in all my clothes. I was able to catch him in the car park so disaster was averted at the last minute.

The place is a bit strange. I think its an old barracks, it certainly has the feel. In fact it looks like an old barracks that was converted into student accommodation that is now used as a hostel. It has a washing machine so I have been able to wash my clothes (not that I have many). Raided the local supermarket so I have made myself some dinner and have everything I need for breakfast tomorrow.

110KM today

1 comment:

Johan L said...

Go Steve Go !!! :)