Friday 20 August 2010

Day 11 – August 20th 2010 – Piteå to Tore

Up at 0500 and on the road by 0600. No wind and no rain so it was a great day for the weather.

There is no doubt that I am very tired having cycled everyday with even 60KM on my one day off.

The ride from Piteå to Lulea was pretty plain with nothing of any interest. In fact I struggled all day to take any meaningful photos of nice scenery as there wasn’t really much to see.

Didn’t pay attention at one point and took a wrong turn onto the E4. The result was that I had to walk back on the hard shoulder as I couldn’t cross over to the other side because of the central reservation.

Lulea was a nice break and came right in the middle of the days ride. Was a miracle I didn’t get lost getting across the city because some of the sigh posting was very iffy. I was also a little too early for lunch so I carried on planning to eat the other side.

Of course I didn’t find anywhere for 2 hours by which time it was greasy truck stop on the side of the E4. Still the food was filling stodge and set me up for the afternoons ride.

At one point the map and the sign posts where in complete contradiction. I can only assume that the route that the map had marked had been ruled as not being allowed and thus it had been re-routed. The offending length of road was a blocked off chunk of road that must have been the original road before the E4 was opened. This road was blocked at both ends but the local lads had found a way onto the road. Thus it was covered with old beer cans and burnt rubber from all the doughnuts that they had performed.

The re-routed and my map eventually met up and the last 15KM for the day were by the hardest. It was horrid undulating forest road covered in those little stones again. Had to munch lots of my food to get the energy to do the last stretch.

Very unusual hotel. It was just closing when I arrived and I seem to have the whole place to myself. Breakfast is in the fridge so I can leave when I like tomorrow.

160KM today. Tomorrow is Haparana

No comments: