Wednesday 11 August 2010

Day 2 – August 11th 2010 – Hallstavik to Gavle

No curtains on the window so I was awake by 0530. Breakfast was delivered on a tray at just gone 0600. Salty porridge, boiled egg,coffee and a couple of bread and cheese, breakfast of the champions!

All thoughts of an early start were put on hold when I gave the landlady a hand with her internet. Seems that the wireless connection I used the previous night was hers and she was a bit upset to find out that it was completely open. Left her my email address so I can maybe help her out.

The cycling was a lot easier today as my legs knew what was in store for them. Took it easy and kept chanting the mantra “Save the legs, save the legs”. Shame about my butt!

Some really interesting towns on the way as the route wound its way through the heart of what had been the 18th century centre of the industrial revolution.

Lunch was kind of difficult because the only place that looked like it was big enough to have any where to eat was too early in the days ride. However a real treat was in store for me at Lövstabruk, check it out, and I had lunch in an 18th century inn.

161KM to Gavle and all thoughts of shopping around for a good value room to staywent out of the window when I went past the first hotel. Lucky for me it was clean and cheap :)

2 comments:

Richard said...

Very nice pictures.
What's the town called with the yellow wall around it, looked interesting?

Not to take away the credit of your effort today, but the wind was blowing rather hard from the south and you were going north :D

Steve Cocks said...

The town was called Lövstabruk.

Lots of stuff on the internet explaining all about it. Its an old iron works from the 1700's and was very well preserved.