Saturday 21 August 2010

Day 12 – August 21st 2010 – Töres to Haparanda

Done it!!

Great nights sleep in the huge hotel where I was the only guest. Managed to take a peek in one of the other rooms and just like mine it was huge! Each room contains a single bed and is about 30m2 and some with kitchens.

The ride was easy enough but some of the roads were just awful. The last half of the day just seemed to drag on for ever especially as the scenery was so monotonous. It was really hard work not to keep glancing at the mileage because it was depressing how slow I was going.

For some reason I kept looking for bears :) I have seem hardly any wild life at all in the last few days. Have the hunters shot everything or does nothing really live in these vast forests? I wonder if my squeaky bike and crunching of my tyres frighten everything away.

Reached the Finnish border but I was still some 20KM short of the end because the route went some way north to avoid the E4. As a result I dropped in at a historic fishing village at a place called Kukkola. They had a restaurant but I was far too shabby to eat there so I carried on.

Stopped at the first hotel I came across (it turned out it was basically the only one in town itself) and it seemed I’m not the only one who stops off here. They put my bike in the “bike cupboard” which is the unofficial home of the bikes and gave me a room with a bath.

Had lunch and got a few things from the Konsum before retreating to my room to chill.

110KM today

Total for the 12 days has been 1611KM with an average speed of just over 20KM an hour and a maximum speed of 60KM!!

No comments: