Tuesday 13 August 2019

Day 1 – Brighton to Ryde 96km


This years cycling was always going to be a little adhoc as the main priority of this summer was my wifes gall bladder operation in London. I did try and be a little proactive and initially planned 2 weeks at the start of the summer in which I planned to cycle to Narvik up the middle of Sweden but this was cancelled as Susie was admitted to hospital with gall bladder pain so I stayed behind to keep an eye on her. I then decided that I needed to solve this issue I have with not being able to travel with a bike within Sweden so I bought a Brompton but this failed to arrive in time so that will have to be for next year.

Cut a long story short we came back to the UK for Susie to have her gall bladder removed and to have some vacation. At the end of our stay I added another week to my planned time away from my client in Stockholm and instead picked up a hired bike from “On Your Bike” in London Bridge. Took it back to our hotel and packed a few essentials in the panniers they supplied before catching a train down to Brighton. SJ in Sweden could learn so much from the British train operators as the whole country is accessible by bike using the train. I don’t often have anything to say against Sweden but this has proven to be one of my personal disappointments.

Once at Brighton I literally just turned right and followed the coast.

The bike is a Trek 520 touring bike which is actually the first time I have ever had a real touring bike as I have done all my cycling on a bog standard hybrid that I use to do to work. Very sturdy and capable of taking quite a load it’s a bit overkill for my 2 lightly loaded panniers. However I can see why they say that a bike like this could be used to circumnavigate the world as she is certainly sturdy. A little lower though than my normal bike caused by the tyres being that bit more heavy duty.
From Brighton I cycled through Shoreham by Sea and Worthing where I stopped briefly to talk to a fellow touring cyclist from Iran. Always nice to chat to random strangers and share experiences. From Worthing the route took me to Bognor Regis (where decades ago my mum and dad took me to Butlins). Up to Chichester which I bypassed and to Havant which is where I changed my route having discovered that there was a ferry from Hayling Island over to Portsea Island. Hayling Island is some where I was last on back in 1979 when Roger and I went on a cycling holiday together just before we both joined the army.

That trip saw us cycle from Hereford to Farnborough and pitching a tent in my Aunty Sarahs garden before cycling down to Hayling Island and back. Our experiences of that were rather damp as it poured with rain the whole time we were then hence our return to Farnborough to recuperate. Once that was done we cycled down to the Bovington tank museum before heading back to Hereford via Bristol and the Severn Bridge. Sadly we didn’t make it to Hereford and rang my parents and asked if they could give us a life back from St Arvans outside Chepstow. No such options this year
Once on Portsea I cycled up to Southsea where I had intended catching a ferry to Ryde but then I happened to cycled past the hovercraft service so never having been on a hovercraft before I decided to try that out and promptly arrived in Ryde. Checked in at the Esplanade Hotel (terrible bed) and hardly slept a wink. Combination of too big a meal and the storm that raged all night.


No comments: