Monday 19 August 2019

Day 7 – Polperro to Lizard Point 105km

Last major day of cycling as tomorrow I intend to go back to London
Slept well and had a good breakfast. Got to love these B&B that charge you good money and then limit you to how many things you can have for breakfast. Not that I was bothered but how much do they save making me choose between a tomato or beans? Surely they lose more through loss of goodwill?

Huge climb out of Polperro followed by a pleasant ride to Polruan which is my first ferry of the day. Polruan is a pretty Cornish fishing village with an incredibly steep road down to the harbour. There was a queue and what with me turning up with my bike the ferry captain went off to get a bigger ferry. Short hop across the harbour to Fowey which is another pretty village with a category 4 climb out of it! Wasn’t so easy to find the way out and Google had me riding on a footpath (which a lady walking her dog reminded me I shouldn’t be riding on), but I eventually found my way. 

Rode through Carlyon Bay which is a very nice looking resort including a hotel that we almost stayed in a couple of weeks ago. Also caught a glimpse of the Eden Project on the horizon something else we almost went to a couple of weeks ago. This is an amazing project where they have recreated a rain forest and other climates under two domes. Very popular tourist attraction but I have no time to visit it today

Next destination was Mevagissey which is another pretty fishing village and where I decided to have lunch. Couple of sandwiches and a fruit scone with cream and jam which I apparently ate incorrectly. The Cornish eat theirs by first putting on the jam and then adding the cream. In Devon they put on the cream on first and then add the jam. So I was eating mine the Devon way, however I did explain that I was born in Devon so they excused me 😊 Just to keep everyone happy I then ate the second half the Cornish way. Question is how do they eat them in Dorset?

Huge climb out of town and I made my way up and down to my next ferry at St Mawes. Another lovely village with quite a few steps to the ferry which required me to dismantle the bike bags. Was able to manhandle everything down and up the other side into Falmouth. Didn’t hang around as Falmouth is nice enough but its just a busy town that I have seen before a few times. Legs are really tired and I am still some way to go plus its getting late, still have a few hours but I don’t like cycling too late in case I have to make any emergency changes


Lovely ride to the next and last ferry crossing at Helford Passage. The river was a very popular with families everywhere and children playing in the water and on the beach. Manhandled the bike across the beach to the ferry point and into the little ferry. Soon I was across and time for the final leg to Lizard Point where I had booked into the youth hostel. Spent way too much on B&Bs the last few days but its been unavoidable as there has been no hostels available in the last few stops. Eventually arrived, found the hostel and grabbed some food from a local pub, fantastic fisherman’s pie. Crashed out really early as tomorrow I have no breakfast booked so I want to make an early start in the morning.

No comments: