Monday 19 August 2019

Day 6 – Dartmouth to Polperro 95km


Great sleep though I was woken a little early by the bin lorry backing up and the seagulls. I love the seaside and would like nothing more then settle down with sound of the crashing waves in the background and the smell of the sea. It’s a very different sensation to the seaside in the Baltics where there is little salt in the sea and few waves

Pouring the rain, absolutely chucking it down, thank goodness I purchased the rain top and sorry Susie for losing your poncho with the sheep all over it. Actually lucky I didn’t have it as it would have proved no good in the wind

Monster climb out of Dartmouth with the castle in the background. Last time we were here they were filming a TV series in the area. Was determined to go to Plymouth via Slapton Sands as this is the area that Susie and I walked back in the 80’s. Our first holidays were on a shoe string as we had little money so I borrowed camping gear from the army and we walked the South Coast coastal path. Many fun and adventures were had and I have great memories of those days
Found the fields where Susie and I had had to abandon the coastal path all those years ago. The coast path had fallen into the sea so we had to climb over a barbed wire fence and walk through the farmer fields. We say the farmer on that day so I walked over to him to ask permission. He said it was very nice of me to ask and most people didn’t bother. Warned me about the bull in the last field and that he would be no problem as he had a field full of cows, I didn’t tell Susie that until we were there and it all went well 😊

Arrived in Slapton after a lot of climbing. Spent some time reading the memorial that has been erected around a Sherman Tank that had been recovered from the bottom of the sea. This area was used in 1944 to practise the D Day landings. Some 30,000 troops landed on Slapton Sands. However the exercise had problems with a live firing incident in which 100’s were killed in friendly fire. Then German E-boats got into the convoy killing 749. 10 of the casualties were officers who knew all about the landings and their bodies had to be recovered. The D Day landings were almost called off because of this.

The road to Kingsbridge and onto Plymouth was a main road and though the traffic was slow moving it was really boring as it was just up and down with traffic, not much choice though as there were no other routes available.

The rain has now stopped

Crossed over to Torpoint on the chain ferry. Chatted to a young navy lad who serves on the submarines (Trafalgar class) that was currently docked for some engineering works. Once on the other side had a sandwich and a cup of tea in Cornwalls #1 café (at least according to what they displayed on the wall). Was actually very good 😊 Studied the map and found there were roads that I could take that followed the coast

Lovely ride to Looe where I tried to find a bike shop as my gears are playing up again but nothing available. I really need to learn some basic bike maintenance as this is ridiculous. Looe was very busy so happy that I had decided not to stay here but to push on to Polperro

Polperro was worth the effort as its just a beautiful fishing village. I have been here before but its very different when you arrive on a bike. Found the B&B checked in, showered, changed and then into the village to find something to eat. Had a Pie in the Blue Peter Inn (best in Polperro) and then an early night. Only 95km but at least 7 major climbs today



No comments: