Tuesday 13 August 2019

Day 2 – Ryde to Calshot


The hotel lost access to its gas supply so breakfast was a little limited. Everything microwaved and to be honest a little inedible. Was glad to get back on the road

The storm last night continued to blow all day so my circumnavigation of the island was intere3sting to say the least. I have been to the island a few times as it was where Susie and I had our first few wedding anniversaries. Took the road out of Ryde and followed it to Sandown, Shanklin and Ventnor. Did my first big climb up the Cowleaze Hill before dropping down into Bonchurch to check out the old hotel that Susie and I used to stay in. Was still there but now a holiday home complex. I had planned to ride across the top of the sea defences to Ventnor but had to push the bike for some of the distance as the storm was whipping up the waves.

Leaving Ventnor I cycled past the Royal Hotel, a more recent stay a couple of years ago, and then onto the road to Blackgang. This was a bit of gamble as Google maps said there was a way through but the road had deadend signs on it and no traffic. I know that this area of the coast had has problems with erosion and that parts of the road had collapsed into the sea and that they also had problems with landslides but I discovered from the postman that the road had been reopened for cyclists and pedestrians so I was able to get through.

Once past Blackgang what should have been an easy enough ride upto Freshwater Bay became one of the most difficult bike rides I have ever done. With 40 knot winds whipping in from the sea (which looked very dramatic) I was in constant danger of being pushed into traffic. The wind was coming in from side so I had to ride extremely slowly and grip the brakes so I could stop instantly I felt the bike being pushed. Stopped in a couple of parking bays to get a rest, in one of them I was chatting to a local family buying ice cream when a gust of wind pushed the wife into a puddle it was that strong! On the last climb into Freshwater Bay it was impossible to ride as the wind was swirling and coming at me from various directions.

Thank goodness that he route after that took me inland and rest of the ride to Yarmouth and then onto East Cowes was far less adventurous. In hindsight the route from Yarmouth should have been via West Cowes and then over the chain ferry but somehow I messed that up. Just missed the ferry to Southampton so had a bit of as wait but eventually made it back to the mainland. Had a lovely chat with June on the ferry who had served a pay clerk in the civil service. Small world so we chatted about our various memories of paying soldiers
Caught the ferry to Hythe which has a very old electric train that takes you the length of the pier. The road to Steves place in Calshot was easy enough to follow and thus finished probably one of the most challenging days riding (at least with regards wind) I have ever done. Lovely meal and a catchup with my friends.

Biggest disappointment of today was that I let my phone run down to less than 15% and consequently Strava crashed out. Yes it recorded where I started but it didn’t kick in again until I was able to plug in my auxillary battery pack. Lesson learned, don’t let the phone get low, Android does weird stuff with running apps


No comments: