Tuesday 13 August 2019

Day 4 – Witchampton Mill to Sidmouth 131km


First day of serious cycling today as the previous 3 days all had certain limits and targets attached to them. Today though I was determined to get into Devon as I have big ambitions for the next few days and I need to hit some key targets to realise them. Breakfast with Paul and Alison and on the road by 0815 having had a great nights sleep (my alarm clock was Sam bumping my feet at 0630)

The route took me through the back lanes of Dorset as I slowly wound my way to Devon. Avoided all the towns on the way but I couldn’t help making a detour to the Bovington tank museum. Didn’t have time to go in but cycling there and going past learner tank drivers on the road rattling past and then watching Warriors and Challengers on the proving grounds was quite a thrill. Took some photos of the outside of the museum before heading off across country again.

Lovely route avoiding all the big roads, skirted Dorchester and then through the Valley of the Stone before my first monster hill climbs, like nothing I have ever encountered before and a taste of whats to come I am sure. First climb was up to Hardy’s monument which was not for Thomas Hardy but for Vice Admiral Hardy who held the dying Nelson in his arms during the battle of Trafalgar.

Dropped down and through a twisting route avoiding the A35 going through pretty Dorset countryside and villages. Was getting low on energy at this point but found nowhere to eat as all the pubs are closed on Mondays! Did find a cider shed that Fredrik my friend from Sweden would have loved. Took a break there and spoke to the young ladies running it (French and Italian doing language training and helping out on the farm for the summer). No food but I did sample a small glass of the local produce.

More hills at just before Axminster and at Seaton which were just huge and at this late stage in the day really tough! Did find a garage that was open so was at last able to get a sandwich as by this time I had used up my last reserves. Arrived in Sidmouth and got a good deal on a seafront facing room. Indifferent food but went to sleep with the sound of the waves crashing on the beach below. Perfect end to a hard days cycling


No comments: