Saturday 11 July 2009

Day 7 - Ystad to Lund

I have solved a medical problem that has baffled the world, how do you cure insomnia?

Simple. Cycle at least 100km a day every day. I assure you that you will sleep like a baby at night :)

Crashed out and was comotose until just before 8 this morning after completing my second biggest mileage day yesterday. I always knew it was going to be tough but just how tough I wasnt prepared for! The wind yesterday was bad.

A quick breakfast and I was off on the bike by 9am. Wandered around Ystad a bit taking photos and trying to get a ticket back to Stockholm. In the end had to contend with directions to Lund because they didnt sell tickets as far as Stockholm, seems that they could only sell tickets within Skane.

Got terribly lost leaving Ystad and ended up on the E65 so headed inland. Went the wrong way (ended up going in a big circle) and came across a medieval encampment. Thought I was seeing things as wenches walked among the men at arms dispensing breakfast, however the 4x4 gave away that this was not for real. Had a lovely chat with a couple from Denmark who travelled Europe selling jewelry before getting directions to the road I needed.

Great days cycling which I took very slowly as this was my last day.

Stopped for lunch at a little cafe in the middle of nowhere and realised my book was back in Ystad! Grr!! Was really enjoying it.

Later chatted to a Czech cyclist and swapped cycling war stories, really must try and do the Vettanrunt next year, is that spelt right?

Arrived in Lund about 3pm and went straight to the train station to buy a ticket, it was closed! Ended up in the Eco Bar where I bought a gift voucher for Torbjorn so that he could taste some Organic wines :)

Arrived at Torbjorns at 4pm and met his lovely new wife :) Wow has he changed :) His friend Peter that came with him to Hereford along with his wife and son came for dinner. A really lovely evening spent with genuine people. I'm not just saying that because I know they read this blog, was a great evening :)

Took the dogs for a walk (I really want a dog).

Wonderful end to a great week.

Distance covered: 70km
Time on bike: 4 hours 18 minutes
Average speed: 16.24 kmph
Max speed: 43.36 kmph

No comments: