Friday 10 July 2009

Day 5 - Kristainopol to Karlhamn

Another great night sleep and this time I made sure I had breakfast as I had bought a bunch of stuff the day before. After 4 servings of musili I gave up trying to eat the whole packet. Made some sandwiches, packed my bags and read my book. In other words I took it easy.

Was on the road at the unearthly late hour of 8.30am. My knee was killing me again and today I had the distinct pleasure of a headwind to contend with.

Needless to say I had no option to slowly churn the miles as I wound along the Blekinge coastline. Beautiful scenery so I took my time and relaxed.

After lunch at a roadside pizzeria my knee started to feel a little better and within an hour it was almost pain free. This bode well but the headwind was still a killer. When I reached Karlhamn I took one look at the map and decided that it was too far to the next place with accommodation especially with the headwind that was blowing.

Susie rang around and found a fantastic hotel called the Hotel Bode. Open since the 1950's with still some of the original fittings this was a little gem. Clean, quiet and cheap. The owner was very welcoming.

Karlhamn was dead after 7 so I grabbed some Chinese food (treated myself to a Banana Split), picked up some breakfast and then went to bed.

Distance covered: 119km
Time on bike: 7 hours 4 minutes
Average speed: 16.78 kmph
Max speed: 46.16 kmph

No comments: