Sunday 5 July 2009

Day 1 - Stockholm to somewhere outside Nyköping

Susie and Fredrik made me a wonderful breakfast which really set me up for the day. I was on the road by 0715 with the aim of getting as far as Söderköping.

Well it wasnt to be.

Roger was right, I should have bought the Garmin because my maps and the horrendous signposts in Nyköping resulted in me getting totally lost. However I am jumping ahead of myself.

The morning ride to Trösa was a dream. Lovely weather, empty roads, a punnet of Strawberries and minimal wait for the ferry meant that I was having lunch 4 hours and exacly 80km after leaving home. Gave myself a 40 minute break I was feeling pretty ok (is this day 1) before pushing on to Nyköping.

The afternoon ride was a lot less interesting than the morning as the roads weren't as interesting. I did at one point leave the route plotted on the map as there was an alternative signposted. It turned out that this diversion was the best part of the afternoon. I did a couple of video blogs but niether came out :( gutted :(

Nyköping was a nightmare to navigate through and I ended up on the Oxelholm road. Not so bad as I actually could find that road but I missed the turnoff hence I ended up in Oxelholm before realising I had screwed up. Not like me to go so badly wrong, guess I was more tired than I thought.

Decided to call it a day and checked into a lovely old Slott which seems to be run by the church. They have some cheaper rooms so opted for one of those. No television, just a bible, so lucky I bought the iPod :)

Distance covered : 165 km
Time on bike : 7 and a half hours
Average speed : 22kmph
Max speed : 47.24kmph

1 comment:

Richard said...

Nice to see a video of you on the bike Steve, more videos like that!

The weather is rather bad here in Stockholm at the moment with 13 degrees and rain on the horizon (at 21.00 or so today and will stay at least until tomorrow). I hope you have nice cycling weather along the trip and manage to keep the pace up.

/Richard