Friday 10 July 2009

Day 6 - Karlhamn to Ystad

Woke at 3.55 so decided to make an early start. Breakfast in bed (ok, breakfast ON bed to be exact) and I was on the road by 5.10am.

My knee felt fine and my butt is getting used to the rubbing so the morning ride flew by! Lovely weather, wonderful countryside.

Skane is nothing I like I thought it would be, this cant possibly be Sweden, at least the Sweden I have come to know. With the sun and beaches you would have though that you are in some exotic holiday spot somewhere in the Med. Ahus in particular was a gem with its beaches and its pier. Could have been somewhere on the South Coast of England except it was clean and there was no tacky fish and chip shops and amusement arcades!

Cycling South I came across a dream fishermans cottage right on the beach! I would love to live there I can tell you :)

Stopped at a little art gallery come cafe which also had internet for lunch. Great day so far and I only have about 40-60km to do before reaching Ystad which is my destination for tonight.

Afternoon started well but I hadn't reckoned on the wind coming back like yesterday and boy did it!! A howling headwind made progress very slow coupled with intermittent showers so I was constantly stopping putting on and taking off various waterproof layers.

Finally Ystad appeared on the road signs and I slowly pedalled the final kilometers to town. Found the hotel, checked in, showered, had some pasta and then vegged watching TV for the first time in a week. Ghostbusters really is a crap film.

Distance covered: 171 km
Time on bike: 9 hours 32 minutes
Average speed: 17.88 kmph
Max speed: 50.42 kmph

No comments: