Friday 10 July 2009

Day 4 - Timmernabben to Kristianopel

Wonderful nights sleep, woke early, packed and dressed and then looked at my watch. I was way too early for breakfast and was far too impatient to wait so I left just before 7 and hit the road. I ate what little food I had on me and thought that would be enough as Kalmar wasnt that far.

Big mistake. Firstly the food didnt supply the right amount of calories I needed, secondly my knee hurt like hell so it was a huge effort to get anywhere and thirdly Kalmar was 50km!

Needless to say I arrived in Kalmar exhausted and in need of food so after asking about an internet cafe I found somewhere to eat and scoffed some pasta. After I uploaded some video on YouTube and wrote my blog.

All in all I spent 2 hours resting my knee hoping that it would feel a lot better. Once I got going again though it started playing up so the afternoon was slow going and painful.

At about 5 in the afternoon I came across a wonderful little village called Kristianopel so decided to stay. My initial queries at the local guesthouse drew a blank so I ended up on a camp site sleeping in a youth hostel built in the 1950's and is the oldest in Sweden. I was a bit dubious as all the amenities were a 100 metre walk away but I didnt have to worry as it all worked out fine.

After showering (5 krona and make sure at no times you have soap in your eyes because thats when the water will cut off, guaranted) I dressed up in my finest T-Shirt and trainers and wandered around. I ended up eating back at the camp site and reading my book.

Got chatting to a Swedish couple from Stockholm who said that everywhere else was booked and that they were eating at the camp site as a last resort. I somehow felt offended as their was nothing wrong with the food. The people on the camp site were all on budget holidays but that doesnt make them 2nd class citizens.

It was glorious countryside again today with far less hills this time (thank goodness, I couldnt have surrived it was the same as yesterday). I am loving this part of Sweden, I had no idea it was so beautiful.

Distance covered: 125km
Time on bike: 7 hours 6 mins
Average speed: 17.57 kmph
Max speed: 36.46 kmph

No comments: