Wednesday 8 July 2009

Day 3 - Vastervik to Timmernabben

Glorious weather today so it was with some delight I took to the road. I had slept very well though I had to get up quite a few times during the night to pee. Maybe I am drinking too much?

Looked around Vastervik for about 5 minutes and took a few piccies before heading out to find the bike road.

The ride down to Oskarham was a delight. Rolling back roads through the woods and lakes of Smaland reminded me so much of home. So many farms here, something you just dont see around Stockholm. It was over 100km to Oskarham which was incredible because there was noway it looked that much on the map. The ups and downs also took their toll on my legs so was very tired when I stopped for a pasta lunch in the middle of nowhere.

Navigating through the bigger towns is always a challenge and I did a pretty good job until the last bit where I went wrong and ended up on the E22 (again). Backtracked and found the right road though I did stop off at a bike shop and get some new brakes and a new backlight. I havent had a functioning back brake for a while now and when I was on the E22 at dusk yesterday I was very conscious that my back light was obscured by the panniers.

Decided not to push on too far today so I stopped at a Vandrahem in Timmernabben (sounds more like a Welsh village to me). I was a little conscious that the place was overrun by kids but it all turned out well. I shared my cabin (communual toilets, shower and eating area, private bedrooms) with a middle aged couple from Colarado who were travelling around looking for her relatives. Very pleasant 30 minutes spent swapping war stories about travels.

An indifferent pizza followed by a glorious nights sleep :)

Distance covered : 139km
Time on bike: 7 hours 20 minutes
Average speed : 18.99 kmph
Fastet speed: 44.84

No comments: