Thursday 25 May 2023

Day 7 -52km Porthmaddog to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Well wasn't expecting to end the trip today but when you lose your 2 most gears what can you do

Slept bad last, woke myself with my snoring a half dozen times! Room was fine just I was so tired and I should have used 2 pillows as I always snore the worst when I'm flat on my back. 

Up early and out by 0630. The ride up to Caernarfon was fantastic. Climbing out of Porthmadog and looking I was greeted with spectacular views of the mountains of Snowdonia. 

The ride was almost exclusively small back roads and disused narrow-gauge railways. Lots of dog walkers and thousands of sheep in the fields as far as the eye could see at times. 

Caernarfon was a welcome breakfast and where I was at last able to remember to buy some lip balm as my lips are getting quite dried out. 

The route to Colwyn Bay my original end for today was along the coast and I had already decided to skip Angelsey as I had no time, however I wanted to visit the village with the longest name Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

I was well on my way when a slightly annoying click turned in to full blown gear failure. Was faced with a decision, abort and find a bike shop that can fix Brompton gears or fi is and use the last couple of days for something else. As it was I was going to stop tomorrow so decided to abort and go see my mother. 

Not the end I was planning but it was a good effort 650 km in 7 days of which 3 were either very short (day 1) or half days (day 3 with Tom and today). 

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/3Y05II6w5zb


No comments: