Friday 22 July 2022

Day 4 - Barnstable to Bridgewater

It was quite cold during the night so had to wear some extra clothing. Also had to leave my little cacoon to pee a couple times which didn't help. Also thought he ground was flat it still had a slight incline so I slipped around a bit. So not the best night's sleep which wasn't made any better by the cockerel waking me up at 0430. Still it got me out of bed 😃

Packed up camp after my usual breakfast and backtracked to the outskirts of Barnstable before finding my route out of town and off I went. The countryside is just wonderful, undulating hills meant a lot of pushing my bike but the views out over the gently rolling Devon farmland were delightful. The route had one major difference from my previous day's in that there are very few towns on the way.

The one exception was South Molton which I arrived at around breakfast time. I found a small cafe that was doing a roaring trade in packed meals and had a tea and a butty. Spoke to a 90 year old lady from Yorkshire who had been living here for decades and had a nice chat. Seems here husband had died at 60 very suddenly and unexpectedly which was very sad.

More undulating hills and before I knew it I was out of Devon and into Somerset. Actually the border between the counties was a little confusing because at one point I passed a sigh saying "Welcome to Devon". The road began to slowly get flatter or should I say the hills become a little less. However one problem I had was that I ran out of water so I stopped at a house that showed signs of occupancy and asked. They happily filled me up and then commented on my bike and said they had bromptons as well and were amazed at both how much I was carrying and by how far I had gone

Had lunch in a pub some miles short of Taunton and a long rest as it had been a punishing day. On reaching Taunton Google did it's normal job of getting me thoroughly lost with its directions but I did eventually make it through the outskirts and found the Taunton to Bridgewater canal which I followed all the way to Bridgewater

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgwater_and_Taunton_Canal?wprov=sfla1

Due to the almost complete lack of camp sites, or at least camp sites that take touring tents I found the cheapest hotel which turned out to be somewhat of a gem. Very friendly staff. Also chatted to a couple of the guests. One was a project manager building a water plant while the other was visiting his children. The later chap had been a coach driver and knew all the places I had been too. He was also going through a sex change or at least identified as a woman which many find off-putting. Not me, and we had a lovy chat. Good luck Cara. 

Took a small walk to a local supermarket to stock up for the last few days. I'm not going to push too hard to get to Tom's as I'm very tired especially the legs. I've had a hell of a workout the last few days. Stopped and  spoke to a homeless lad and gave him a bit of money. Seems he lived on an abandoned shop, was a recovering alcoholic and had been homeless the last 18 months. Wished him well. 

Tonight I have a bed and a late start, at least no cockerels here in town

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/AYeVaDHzRrb


No comments: