Wednesday 20 July 2022

Day 3 - At Teath to Barnstable

Awoke at 0500 to the soft pitter patter of rain so after a quick dash to the toilet I started to pack under the tree next to my tent. I had to put on my cycling top which I had washed last night and was hanging up to dry. It wasnt dry so not the most pleasant thing to do but this isn't the first time I've had to do it. Rabbits were everywhere bounding around in the early morning mist because once again there was a fog. I packed, had my granola and almond milk, a quick cup of coffee and then headed off.

I took Lee's advise from yesterday and kept away from the coast as it's extremely rugged and with the fog I would have seen nothing. Instead I stayed inland and headed for Bude which I reached about 0900 just in time for my second breakfast which was an overnight oats and cup of tea. Tried to find some more camp food but nothing was available so I headed off taking a much more inland route as there is no good road along the coast.

The ride was glorious, the Cornish countryside rolled by as I pedalled my way through small back roads. The fields smelled of fresh earth, crops and of course cows:) there are so many. Again I had to put on my hi-visibility vest as some of the roads were busy, bit of a worry as some of the roads were very narrow with low visibility corners.

Made it to a place called Torrington where there was a massive derelict building which used to be the second largest dairy in Europe. Popped into a pub only to find out it was a Thai restaurant, but I did come across the tarka trail https://tarkatrail.org.uk/ which I followed all the way to Barnstable via Bideford. Was a magnificent ride through over 20kms of flat countryside. I popped into the bike shop which I had visited in 2019 and from there to a campsite which is where I had a shower, cooked food and recharged my devices

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/VNL7vE09Orb

No comments: