Wednesday 20 July 2022

Day 2 - Mary's Well to St Teath

Early to rise, must have been about 0500, packed everything up and made myself a breakfast of granola and Almond milk. The site was very quiet but at about 0600 the baby in the caravan next to me started crying and woke them all up. The husband looked really young until I realised it was an older son! 

It hadnt rained overnight but there was a heavy fog rolling in from the sea. Visibility was no more have 500 meters so I decided not to take any roads close to the coast as there would be no point, would have all the pain with none of the gain, as in all the hills with none of the views. Instead I found a route to Newquay using back roads that took me slightly more inland. Their were still hills but nothing like yesterday. I had to follow the main A road for the last few miles so on went my hi-visibility vest just to be safe

I arrived in Newquay in time for breakfast and treated myself to tea and a smoked salmon baggle. Newquay is one of the centers for surfing and there were loads of shops catering for surfers. It started to rain so I put waterproof covers on both the bags on the bike. By the time I had finished my second breakfast the fog had lifted so I decided to follow the coast to Padstow.

The hills came back with a vengeance as the coast was incredibly "lumpy". The views though were wonderful and by lunch time I had arrived. Padstow was full of tourists as this is a very popular place to visit. It's also overpriced and has become beloved by rich people from the London area. The town was awash with expensive cars. After an expensive cheese and pickle sandwich I took the ferry across to Rock.

The afternoons ride was hard as the sun came out and was relentless. At one point I lay down beneath a tree and took a break. Just to make things perfect half my gears stopped working so I only had the high gears left which are not the ones you need for hills!!

Like a man staggering across the desert hoping in vain to find an oasis I came across a pub where I had a refreshing drink and chatted to the barman. Lee was very helpful and we discussed various options of how to get to Bude. I ruled out the bus and decided in the end for a campsite close by.

Lovely site where I had a hot shower, did some washing and made myself some food. The hosts were very nice and allowed me to charge all devices but even nicer was the lady in the caravan next to my pitch who came across and offered me a cup of tea. Lovely chat, turned out she was from Castleford which is the village next to Washington where Susies cousin lives and where we stayed in a castle a few years ago. Was asleep by 2100 and this time I found my pillow 

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/WKhLWSi8Orb

No comments: