Friday 3 August 2018

Day 6 - Brainewo to Gdynia

Day 6 of my ride from Riga to Leba

Best days ride yet. Roads were quiet and when there was any traffic everyone was courteous. Lots of holiday resorts so lots of families on bikes.

A few ups and downs and the occasional leap of faith as Google maps directed me down tracks which last time in Poland gave me nightmares particularly when I came into Leba from the west

Quaint little cable ferry just on the outskirts of Gdansk and then hit the outskirts. Gdansk is actually part of a tricity as it's 3 merged into 1. Gdansk, Sopot and Gdynia. My route took me through the middle past the old town. I had no idea that it was so beautiful and historic.

The ride from Gdansk to Sopot took me along the coast through resort after resort. What a gem and I had no idea how lovely they are. Chatted with a young man selling coffee so he did warn me it was as a great ride. I must bring Susie here as it's only an overnight ferry from Nynashamn outside Stockholm

Arrived in Gdynia to find hotels were in demand as it's the Iron man this weekend. Found a hostel but can't do sharing again so opted for the whole room. It's clean, has a bed and shower and is close to all the amenities so what more do you need.

Take a look at a map of Poland from 1939, it's quite interesting. Gdansk was Germany then and known as Danzig. In fact Germany lost 25% of here land after World War 2to mainly Poland and Russia. All of the Poland I have cycled through both this trip and in 2016 used to be Germany

Strange to think that tomorrow is my last day of cycling after which I have finished cycling around the entire Baltic Sea. Ok I would like to me a perfectionist and do Turku, Helsinki, Saint Petersburg and the to Tallin but that can wait. When I started all this I didn't really believe I would get to finish it.


No comments: