Thursday 2 August 2018

Day 5 - Neringa to Braniewo

Day 5 of my ride from Riga to Leba

This ride had 2 objectives. First was to pretty much finish off my circumnavigation of the Baltic and the entire Swedish coastline. The second was to include Kaliningrad as it's so much easier to bypass as it requires visas as it's part of Russia which a very hard border. Will have used to that when we Brexit. So today I crossed in one day. Not only 150km but also 2 border crossings which can take ages according to some of the blogs.

Up at 4am as I really needed an early start. Had a broken nights sleep as it was so hot. Said goodbye to Ludwig who I was sharing the room with along with 2 young ladies. Still find mixed dorms weird but nobody seems to care nowadays.

Getting out of Lithuania was very straight forward. Getting into Russia was a lot harder and what I didn't know is the Russia doesn't do summer time so my arrival at 5am was actually 4am for them. Very fortified and a good 600m from the Lithuanian border post. First think I heard was the incredibly load air conditioning before I realized it was millions of buzzing insects. My paper work was in order so I was waved through. About 3km down the road another barrier across the road and lots of barbed wire fencing, cleared sand strip and spotlights. Think the guard was asleep as he wasn't there. His dog barked woke him up so he waved me through and his dog chased me. Ha frikkin ha.

Saw a moose, deer and at least a dozen wild boar. Mosquitoes for 20km. Once I was off the Nida peninsula got some cash and bought some breakfast and water. Drank 7 litres today! Getting into Kaliningrad was a challenge. Zero bike roads and some of the suggestions from Google maps were just plain wrong. Road down some pretty big roads but drivers were considerate.

Kaliningrad was nice. Went round the old town. Grabbed a chicken wrap made Russian style and it was very tasty

Passed loads of war memorials both before and after the city which brings home the huge human cost by the Russians to take the city. They used 1000s of tanks and 1.5 million troops. Very moving

Arrived at the Polish border in baking hot weather. Applied factor 50 twice so hope I haven't gotten burned. Long queues but as a cyclist both Russians and Poles waved me to the front and I was able to jump the queues. Once in Poland found my hotel for the night.

What a day! I've cycled across Russia in 1 day!

No comments: