Friday 6 May 2016

Day 5 - Kolobrzeg to Darlowo

This is my 3rd attempt at writing this entry, combination of me pressing wrong buttons and a flaxy Wi-Fi meant that I lost my first 2 attempts

Early breakfast though had to battle with my German geriatric friends to get to the buffet. All very polite and lots of good mornings. Must admit they Germans are coming across as a lot friendlier than the Poles. One good thing about the crowds and the fact it was a buffet meant that I was able to sneak away with a couple of rolls and an apple for later

Decided to skip the massage and get on the road, not a huge day today as I have only 280km left or so and after yesterday I feel like a slower day. Also their is a nice SPA hotel waiting for me at my destination so getting there early would allow me to get the massage there instead

Sunny day so out with the factor 30. Managed to get out of town without getting too lost and found a wonderful bike lane that meandered for miles just behind the dunes. Combination of the weather, the sea, and the fact I was about the only person using the bike lane made for some wonderful cycling

In fact the roads today were a dream compared to yesterday. When they did go offroad and through the forests the sand was mixed with mud or gravel and in places some kind soul had put down wood chips. Made excellent time

The day was mainly coastal roads either right on the sea or slightly inland. Not a huge amount of  resorts and those I came across seemed to be in a state of semi build. The whole of this bike ride in Poland has been through endless building sites and modernisation programs. Money is really being spent here and I can see why with the beaches, the unspoilt nature of the coastline and the sunny weather (though I am sure it can get just as horrible here as anywhere else).

Only time I had to go inland was when I came to a military base (airfields this time) or the spit of land I was on ended in a dead-end

Arrived in Darlowo and was not impressed with what I saw. Industrial town built on a river a few kilometres in-land. So turned left and headed down to the coast where I found a little seaside resort with an excellent hotel. For what you pay for a hostel in Sweden you get a 4* SPA hotel so no hesitation in booking in. Even got myself that massage

Wandered around the resort and had a meal. 120sek for a full Italian meal with spaghetti, wine, bread, salad, desert and coffee. Only disappointment is they didn't know what grappa was, the place was run by local Poles. So I explained and they gave me something local but it was sweet. Oh well it was a nice try :)

Back at the hotel I made the best of the room and chilled. Did some washing so I wouldn't smell like a dead dog tomorrow. Breakfast doesn't start to 0800 so going to make the best of the chance to relax



No comments: