Tuesday 3 May 2016

Day 3 - Griefswald to Swinoujscie

When you plan these trips you really have no idea what to expect.  I was really expecting a lot out of yesterday's ride around  Rugen and I must admit I was very disappointed probably because I changed the route and went a more direct way when I say the lack of bike lanes and the distance involved

So today was a great surprise and it was by far the best days cycling so far. An early start found me on the road by 0730 and I quickly got into my stride. Didnt get lost leaving the city and was able to follow the signs. However I soon had to make a decision, bike path said 39km, road said 15km. 

Hmm, so I took the road hoping it would be quiet which it was. A fantastic ride through rolling farmland which quickly bought me to the turn of for Peenemunde which wasn't sign posted.

Another great ride out to the old rocket research center that saw the Germans invent the V1 and V2 rockets. The V1 became the but bombs that terrorised London in 1944. The V2 of course also was used in anger but the technology used to invent it was put to much better use when the scientists were bought to America to work on the appollo program

Much of the site is still there either in use, as a museum,  or slowly rotting in the woods. Sad to think they started building it all in 1936 years before the war started knowing that it would be needed if a war came about. Between Prora and Peenemunde I've had enough if sightseeing old war monuments.

The ride from Peenemunde to Poland was INCREDIBLE

It hugged the coast along a series of wooded bike routes that linked all the pretty, clean, and beautiful seaside towns. Was an absolute delight

Only cloud was I dropped my phone so in a panic I had to backtrack to where I last used it scanning the ground trying to see it. With so many people using the bike route the chance of it not being picked up was incredibly slim so when I backtracked and didn't find it I was sure somebody had picked it up 

So with a heavy heart I carried on the ride and then within about 100m of where I had discovered I had dropped it I found it lying on the side of the path buried in leaves! Was planning an upgrade but not this way

Made it safely to Poland and found an excellent hotel just over the border. I have 4 more days to do 400 km so need to rush it

No comments: