Wednesday 3 July 2013

Day 1 - Stockholm to Arboga

Up at 5 and on the road just gone 6 on what promises to be a different biking experience from before. Keeping within the spirit of doing the coast this year I have decided to explore the west coast. Only problem is that with no way of taking my bike on the train I am going to have cycle the width of Sweden to get there!

First decision is which way to go as lake Malaren is to the West of Stockholm. go North via Västeras or so South by Eskilstuna. In the end I decided to go north as the roads seem less busy.

2 hours and 40km into the ride I had been able to weave my way through the labyrinth of the northern  suburbs and found my self crossing into Uppland and the town of Bälsta. The road west from there took me through some wonderful countryside and some very unusable bike paths including the bed of an old railway that must have predated the line that now runs from Stockholm to Västeras.

By late morning I was getting a little tired but it was too early to stop for lunch so i grit my teeth and kept going eventually arriving in Västeras after 120km. Took a long break to recharge the batteries and then headed out through a fairly industrial landscape (distribution centers for ICA take up a heck of a lot of space).

Plowed on through the hot afternoon and eventually after 180km arrived in Arboga where Susie had kindling rang ahead and booked a room at the Vandrahem. Shower and a meal and in bed by 2030, another busy day ahead tomorrow

No comments: