Monday 8 July 2013

Day 6 - Halmstad to Malmö

The last day and a big push required as I need to get stuff done in Malmö if I am to get home. A hearty breakfast and on the road by 0715

Today was going to be tough as its 150KM plus the extra I am bound to add by going the wrong way. Checking the timetables and options means I have 2 ways of getting home tonight. Option 1 is to get my bike  packed up, take it by taxi to the busgods and catch the train home. This means being packed up by 1730 so I need to be finished by 1630. Option 2 has be trying to convince the train staff I can take my bike onto the overnight train and have the bike in my sleeping cabin.

Susie rang SJ for me and they said "I might be able to do it". Decided to go with option 1 so the race was on.

My route had to be fairly direct and I had 2 towns to navigate through, Angelholm and Helsingborg. Decided to avoid Helsingborg and cut north using route 110 and it was a good decision. The road was quiet and the terrain varied with a good mix of farmland and coastal stretches. Took a couple of wrong turns which had be telling myself off rather vocally and reminding myself to "check every junction idiot". Felt a bit like Gollum\Smeagal.

Passed through the coastal village of Båstad (pronounced pretty much like Bastard) and then soon through the village of Lya (pronounced Liar). So can safely say that people living in this area are Lying Bastards :).

Once inland the countryside really stared to look like Herefordshire with rolling hills (a couple of wicked climbs). Fields full of cattle, pigs, sheep and in one case a beautiful herd of Angus beef cows looking quite out of place

Lots more touring cyclists coming the other way and again some happy to stop and talk while others seem surprised. Stopped and chatted with a couple of German ladies who were carrying incredible loads. Swear to god I saw a pair of high heels in their luggage. When I asked how far they were going theyu said they didn't know, and with that much weight I don't think very far :) Good luck though.

Navigating through Malmö and finding the bike shop that Fredrik had found me turned into a nightmare when the battery on my phone died and I lost access to both Google maps and the SMS with the address. Luckily I found it and presnted myself to the shop owner who promptly said that yes he could pack the bike but not today!! However he took pity on my plight and proceeded to pack the bike into a huge bike box so option 2, the sleeper train vanished as a possibility. Squeezed the box into a taxi and dropped it off at the busgods depot (once we found it, it's moved) and then headed to the train station.

A couple of young things manning a Samsung stand sorted out my phone and confirmed my tablet was ok (turns out the cable was broken), Had a shower and then jumped onto the express train home.

1100KM in  6 days is by far my best effort so far and to be honest I feel strong and ready for more. A little saddle sore and leg weary but I really feel myself getting into the swing of life in the saddle. However home we go and looking forward to seeing Susie again :)

No comments: