Tuesday 30 April 2013

Day 3 - Riihimäki to Kuovola

Today was destined to be a tough day and it certainly didn't disappoint.

I calculated that today was going to be about 130KM which didn't seem too difficult. However due to a slight change of plan I didn't plan on staying in Kuovola but instead catch the 1722 to Helsinki with the intent of meeting up an old friend who I hadn't seen in 11 years.

I didn't sleep so well as I was way too hot and bed so narrow I thought I was going to fall out! So I was glad when the morning arrived so I could get up, have breakfast and hit the road. So by 0630 I was on the way aware that I had a deadline to meet but with a 3 hour margin felt comfortable that I could make it.

The morning ride was through endless farmland with farms that are looking a lot better than the ones from the first couple of days.Seems that the reason for all the abandoned buildings I am seeing are caused by many factors. Firstly the life of a farmer is not that appealing to the younger generation. Hard to find a wife in the large sprawling communities many are heading to the cities Secondly land is so cheap that farms are being bought up by the neighbors and the land merged into bigger and bigger farms with no need for the buildings.

Reached Lahti by 1030 which I deemed to be just under half way. Had a break with something to eat and drink before setting off on what proved to be a very frustrating attempt to get out of Lahti. Big towns are a nightmare for cyclists particularly ones trying to find the small roads so that they can avoid the traffic, Conflicting signs, no signs at all or signs pointing the wrong way all contributed to me taking almost an hour to get on the way. Plus Lahti is a large and sprawling city so the cycling was pretty boring with large roads everywhere.

I eventually found the road I needed when the one thing that all cyclists hate arrived. A headwind. Already tired from the 300KM I had already cycled it was a real struggle to make any progress. I had over 20KM to cycle into the wind and it really drained my energy reserves. With no obvious short cuts I just had to grin and bear it.

The countryside was very much the same as this morning which was a little disappointing as the maps showed lots of lakes and the guide I was following was saying all sorts of things to look out for. Apart from a few churches, summer houses and glimpses of lakes through the trees it was very familiar. Of course the fact that I was knackered and had my head down didnt help me appreciate the scenery that much :)

Reached the outskirts of Kuovola at about 1500 so still plenty of time. However the complete lack of any signage meant that it was going to be tough to find a car free way into town. Then I discovered a function on my phone that I hadnt seen before (I am no power user, a phone is for making phone calls no?) I bought up the map function and found I could type in my destination and ask for it to find me a route for cyclists. Awesome! 45 minutes later I arrived at the train station where I picked up my tickets and settled down to wait.

Very glad this is the end because after today I dont think I could face a day 4 :) Was great to back on the road but today was 165KM which on top of the rest makes it over 400KM in 3 days over some pretty horrendous potholed roads with virtually nowhere to eat or stay for long distances. Bike held up well but more importantly I feel good. My legs are sore but still strong and I had no problems with my butt or joints. Need a good massage though


No comments: