Saturday 9 July 2011

Day 6 – Kristianestad to to Rauma

Slept really well last night and after a quick breakfast was on the road just gone past 0730. No sooner had I left the hotel I came across the scene of a Road Traffic Accident.

There I was motoring along on the bike path that ran parallel to the road when I saw across the other side of the road what I initially took to be an advert or sculpture. It was only when I got closer I could see that it was a white van lying on its side in the ditch with its wheels sticking up in the air. My initial thought was “wow bet that hurt” and I almost took a picture but thought it bit ghoulish. anyway as I was passing the driver’s door popped open and the driver got out followed by his passenger! I immediately stopped and rushed over to see if they needed any help but thankfully apart from being pretty shook up they gave me the thumbs up saying they were ok.

After that the cycling got a lot less interesting with the best part of 90KM spent on the same road going through endless woods with the occasional village. Not that I was complaining as the pace was fast and I had set my sights on maybe reaching Turkhu in 2 days, not 3, thereby getting home on Sunday and not Monday.

Came across a place for lunch by complete accident and had one of the best lunches so far in a little cafe next to the village shop. All the village drunks sat outside looking a right mess but the food was great.

Reached an area that if you look at the map looked like it was going to really beautiful. Turned out to be very industrial. I should have used my better judgement and taken the more direct route out but like an idiot I followed the suggested which was once again poorly marked and pointless. Decided to make my own way to Rauma and diverged from the suggested route without getting lost. Missed 2 towns (including Pori) hence saving myself not only time but knocking off mileage.

It was still a 200KM ride to Rauma where I arrived in good time to find a hotel that good value, make up a little on the 2 expensive nights I have had. Tomorrow looks doable especially if I skip some of the route as I really want to make the ferry home.


No comments: