Tuesday 5 July 2011

Day 3 – Kolajoki to Pietasaari

Nice early start from the hostel after a strange breakfast which I don’t really know what it was that I ate. All I know it came in individual packets and you made it by adding boiling water. I thought it was porridge but it didn’t really have the right consistency.

Again on the road early and the morning ride was great. Weather is cooler and the sun isn’t so hot. Discovered that just out of town are sandy beaches that stretch from kilometres in all directions. Built on these beaches are loads of camp sites, cottages and hotels some of which I am sure I would have been able to get a good deal on. To think I could have had a room overlooking the sea last night!

Reached Kokkola in good time after a very pleasant ride. Only one problem and that’s I have picked up my first injury of the trip. Normally by day 3 by complaining about have a sore bum but this year the new shorts Susie has gotten me absolutely rock and I have had no problems with being saddle sore at all. No the problem this year seems to be my left Achilles tendon which started to ache. Stopped at an chemist and got a cold compress (which is currently in the fridge) and some athletic tape.

The afternoon ride was supposed to be through some islands and the guide book made a real big deal “you find yourself in the Seven Bridges Archipelago – a beautiful pearl of a seascape dotted blah blah blah” Well I reckon most of it was behind hedges because apart from when I stopped for lunch at an old harbour I didn’t see a whole lot of water I must say.

Susie had phoned ahead and got me a good deal at a hotel so luxury tonight. I have internet (so will try and upload some photos) and later I am getting a 45 minute massage for 25€ which is cheap. Hopefully he can help with my tendon.

Mileage today was 138KM


1 comment:

Richard said...

I hope your tendon is better tomorrow m8 :)