Tuesday 5 July 2011

Day 2 – Kempere to Kolajoki

A great days cycling through some really lovely countryside.

Slept well last night and was on the road by 0700 though the walls are paper thin, hope i didn’t keep the neighbours awake with my snoring! Finding the way back onto the route was fairly straightforward. Quiet little villages on the way, got a huge smile from a lady who was cleaning up the town centre with her 2 sons. Later on I was very tempted to stop at the druid summer solstice celebrations going on at Lumijoki but the day was too young for a prolonged pit stop.

Took a wrong turn at Siikajoki which cost me a few extra KM but nothing like yesterday. I missed a crucial turn and ended up being about 3KM further away than I reckoned. Easily done. Also some of the route was on gravel roads which I really really hate though they were nowhere as bad as the roads I encountered in Sweden.



My planned stop at Pyhänkoski didn’t happen because there was nowhere to buy any food. Really lovely countryside with a winding river with rapids. In the lazy and hazy summer afternoon it was idyllic except for the insects, how can something so small cause such mayhem!. Ended up cycling all the way to Kolajoki for a grand total of 178KM which was way more than I had wanted to do.

Found a hostel though it wasn’t signposted anywhere. Popped around to the local supermarket and bought some supper which I made in the kitchen.  I need to ensure I am carrying at least 1 meal if I intend to have staying in a cottage as an option.


1 comment:

Richard said...

Very nice "camspot" you found :)