Monday 4 July 2011

Back to Kemi


Having cycled 2800KM to Kemi getting back takes 24 hours, bit of an anti climax really. However I am getting ahead of myself. Had a really bad night as a) it was too hot and b) I didn’t want to over sleep (fat chance). Up at 4.30am and bless little Susie but she also got up and made me some tea and toast. Out the door in good time to catch the 0700 ferry to Turku.

For those of you who live in Stockholm I don’t know if you know but the local council have done everything they can to kill off the rabbits from the roundabout at the end of Sveavagen. Sadly they seemed to have succeeded however riding through Haga Park at 0530 I am happy to report that the rabbits are thriving there. so many young ones from this spring, was very sweet:) Watership Down

The ferry journey was very uneventful (which is good, eventful would imply its sunk or something similar). I opted for a shared cabin (27 EUR compared to 22 EUR for a deck seat) and ended up having a cabin for myself (list price 84 EUR) so I was happy. Tried to catch up on sleep but it wasn’t to be so watched a bit of TV and messed around on the laptop. Ate too much at the buffet.

Ferry arrived exactly on time so made my way to the train station and got my ticket. I had opted again for the cheap option of a shared sleeper birth and ended up with 2 teenage Finns as room mates. Did my feet smell that bad when I was 16? To be honest though I am sure I got my own back with my snoring :) Only problem was that the train split at Tampere so I had to baby sit my bike to ensure it got on the right part of the train. Ended up not getting to bed until 0100.

Breakfast at 0730 and ended up chatting with Finnish lady who was heading home for a couple of weeks. Her father had just died.

Arrived in Kemi at 0925 ready to hit the road not really quite believing i am back again

No comments: