Tuesday 10 August 2021

Day 3 - Skebokvarn to Småängens Camping, Tjällmo

Great nights sleep though i did wake early. Breakfast was some museli and i was able to put the unused Oatley in the water bottle from yesterday. I also tried using the hot water in my new flask to see if had kept the heat and it made a decent cup of tea so that was a success. Packed and was on the road around 0700, took a lot more care with the rucksack to avoid the hassle from yesterday. Pretty sure it was caused by the sleeping mat not being central. Everything pretty much dried overnight (though the bike clothes were just a little damp). 

Arrived in Flen and was very happy that I had decided to stay where I had because the hotel looked like it seen better days. The road to Katrineholm was a big road but traffic was thankfully light and what traffic there was gave me a wide berth. No way I could have done this yesterday

Katrineholm had a Biltema, i road right past it and didnt remember until i was well past that I should have tried to pick up a three legged stool! Still i was able to do some shopping at an ICA MAXI and bought a bunch of student food. Pasta, pasta sauce, beer and instant noodles in anticiaption of not finding anything decent tonight. Stopped off also for a coffee in the center of town and was able to get my small flask filled with boiling water

Decided to take the slightly longer but more scenic route thus avoiding hopefully any big roads. Was an excellent choice as the cycling was just great. Still a problem with hills and gears and to this was also added my first gravel road which is frankly a nightmare on the Brompton. The front wheel was all over the place and the bike felt very unsteady so going was even slower. Rained a litte but was generally overcast. Big problem with flies, they are all over me when i stop or go slow so was not pleasant.

Had a nice break at övra hävla bruk an old iron foundary from the 1600s that closed in 1920s. It had been restored and there was a guide there who very graciously filled my water as i had ran out (should have filled it in Katrineholm). Must have drunk 3-4 litres today and hardly peed at all. I also had been completely unable to find anywhere to eat, the only options such as small cafes had been closed because of Covid so I made myself some instant noodles using the water from Katrineholm and my new cookset. Worked a charm. A couple of ladies on another table hearing i was English struck up a conversation about how small my bike was. Turns out she recognised the model as her daughter lives in London where they are used for commuting. Saw Lamas and Camels today at two different farms

After a few hairy experiences on the gravel road i eventually made it back onto tarmac and headed for the campsite. Stopped again briefly at 1430 to take my medicine and get something to drink and again just before i reached the campsite to pick up some desert for my meal tonight. Sent a picture of my dinner to Susie who wasnt impressed. Cards, carbs, carbs and carbs so tomorrow i will have to do better

Checked in and found a nice spot. Had to put on my anti mosquito face net and it actually worked a charm while i put the tent up. Tried really hard to do it properly this time but we will have to see how things go tonight. They have a really nice service house so was able to recharge all my devices and cook myself some dinner. Even had enough pasta for a seciond portion which i have put into my collapsible bowl (has a lid that screws on seals) so maybe thats something i can eat tomorrow. 

Looking at my Strava stats my average speed is 10km an hour so its really slow. I also supposedly burnt 3500 calories and considering how tired i feel i can believe that. Going to do a Swedish lesson now and then to bed. Tomorrow is a much more relaxed day so maybe its time to slow down just a fraction and enjoy the time away

Lessons for today 

1 - My bike hates gravel

2 - i need to concentrate on my food and water intake

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/f9JKzYJaCib


No comments: