Monday 9 August 2021

Day 2 - Bredang to Skebokvarn

Well that didn't go well

First of all I wasted a couple of hours after it started getting dark on map playing Civ 6. Was fun but i was to pay for that lack of an earlier night

Woke at 0300 bursting for a pee which isnt easy ijn a tent. Had misplac|\ed my glasses (stuff was all over the place though i had tried to have a system and keep things organised. Then i had to get dressed, put on my shoes, navigate my way of the tent which was wet from the heavy dew and then mack my way to the toilet block being careful not to trip over tent guide lines in the dark. By the time i got back i was well awake and i hadnt really gotten to sleep when dawn arrived along with the birds. Fitbit says i got just over 3 hours sleep

Eventually gave up and went for a walk in search of something warm to drink as my thermos was warm at best and made a lousy cup of tea. Found a cafe as Bredang center so sat their and surfed the web as I had time to kill. I hadnt realised that recetion didnt open until 0900 and i hadnt paid.

So a long list of things to fix over the next few days

1 - there is a reason why guide lines need to be tight. mine were too loose hence the tent got wet

2 - always leave the vents open to avoid condensation

3 - hammer the guide lines better especailly when ground is wet and muddy

4 - get something i can boil water in

5 - get a bigger thermos

6 - get a small chair, cant sit in the tent

7 - need food containers especially for liquids 

Anyway was on the road just after 0900 and made slow but steady progrilk.ess. Got a bit lost getting out of Stockhol as Google doesnt do the best at finding route. Did some shoping at Biltema to try and find some of the more obvious stuff (out of stock with the little 3 legged chair i wanted). Got a bit lost going through Sodertalje but evetualy found the road i was destined to follow for t which io am carryhe rest of the day

Rucksack needed to be adjusted a few times so i bought some additional bungies lets see if they make any difference. Bike is really heavy compared to when i have ridden it with out sall the gear which made progress very slow. Also i really suspect that the gears are not working and that I only have access to half of them. So i am down to 3 gears and it fels like the high ratio set so anything but the mildest of hills was a killer. A lot of walking and pushing the bike which with its little wheels isnt the easiest thing.

Terrible lunch at Jarna but i had to get a rest and eat. Had a brief stop and shop at Gnesta as i needed to take some medicine and thought i would kill to birds with one stone and buy some small mineral water so could take the medicine and keep the bottle for my oat milk which i could just imagine bursting in my rucksack.

Weather was a mix of rain, sunny spells and a head wind which really sucked. Combine that with the gears, the heavy bike and lack of sleep from last night meant i was reallt struggling. I realised that my original plan for Katrineholm wasnt realistic so started to look for alternatives. One campsite in Malmkoping but it was a diversion and would add more for tomorrow so i decided to find a room. Third time lucky and i found an empty Vandrehem at a good price.

Dried out the tent, had another go with my hydrated food this time with boiling water and actually it was very edible. Washed my bike kit and got an early night, my plans are now all shot to hell as my mileage expectations were based on my other bike carrying little gear. This is a whole different ball game 

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/FIa8UHuzAib

No comments: