Monday 23 June 2014

Day 4 - Tällberg to Uddeholm

An exhausting day with everything!! rain, hail, sunshine, wind, hill climbs after hill climbs, a route failure, and almost nowhere to stay!!

The day started well with breakfast with Susie and a slow and pleasant start, on the road by 0830

The morning was a pleasant ride from Leksand to Dala-Järn with a lot of hills and weather that really couldn't decide to rain or to shine. Off with the coat, and it would rain, on with the coat, and the sun would come out. Arrived in Järna. Nothing there so went a bit further to Vansbro where I fairly disgusting lunch at a roadside restaurant.

From there it looked straight forward down to Hagfors. The road was great and the scenery pleasant but the weather sucked with rain and hail, heavy at times. However it was always going to be a risk, there is nothing worst than arriving in small town Sweden on a Sunday evening with no hotel booked.

Also doesnt help that within about 30km of finishing the road ended and despite my best efforts I couldn't find where Google thought I could cycle. It looked like the road was through a farm but no way was I going to trespass. So i had no option but to backtrack, added 15km to the days total and an hour.

Arrived in Hagfors to find one hotel had closed down and the other wasnt open (they had gone home) so my worst fears had come true. There was nowhere to stay, my mobile phone battery was running very low, I wasnt going to get an evening meal so the only choice was to cycle on to Uddeholm where I was able to find somewhere. Reception closed at 2000 and i arrived at 1955!!

Lets hope tomorrow is a little less filled with drama. Biggest problem is finding places to stay so really need to consider carrying a tent!!

No comments: