Thursday 25 June 2015

Day 3 - Kolding to Eckernförde

Woke early, before 0500, but well rested which is a miracle after yesterday. Packed and repacked my bags before breakfast at 0600. Got told off for taking things from the breakfast room, didn't make me out everything back so was kinda pointless, "i promise I wouldn't do it the next time" seemed to make him happy.

On the road nice and early which is good because I had no idea what the day had in store. Leaving town was easy and thank goodness I made no effort to look around as the place didn't look like much on the way out.

Roads as always were brilliant, the bike lines are just superb, and no problem with the navigation as everything was very well sign posted. Good speed, straight roads and no wind made for good time and before I knew it I was out of Denmark and into Germany.

Cycle lanes went to hell, they were there but so badly rutted cracked and undulating that they didn't make for good cycling. No more than 20 minutes into Germany and the constant bumps sent my phone flying from its holder on the handlebars. Thank goodness it survived even if it did end up in 3 pieces.
       
Bike lanes didn't really improve and I was very tempted to use the roads but it seems that all cyclists use the bike lanes and I got a few stares when I got fed up and used the road. Countryside has changed though as the Germans have hedges and many of the villages have very pretty thatch cottages, lots of them in fact compared to Denmark. Nothing burnt down or abandoned, everything looking very well cared for.

Passed a Kindergarden class out on their bikes. All these little kids of 3-4 years old on their little bikes not knowing which way to go as I eased past them, I think a lot of them still didn't know the difference between left and right as I eased past.

Keil looked doable but there was little point,. I have 2 days to get to Rostock, Stopped just before 1600 after 165km and boked into the first hotel I came across. Having walked around town it was a lucky find., Had dinner there later overlooking the harbour.

No comments: