Friday 16 July 2010

Day 5 – Burgvik to Visby

A good nights sleep saw me on the road early for the first time of the trip. The countryside was beautiful and slowly changed the further north I went as the rocks receded and the greenery gradually came back. Looking at the map last night I had thought that it was going to be a short day but it turned out that it was 110KM!! Also looking at the map the last 30KM into Visby looked crap as it followed the main road. However it turned out to be quite nice with a combination of wide cycle paths and detours into the villages either side of the main road.

Some wonderful cycling along the sea and through some pretty villages. Spoke to a fellow cyclist who was having a rest and about the first I have seen all week in cycling gear. Turned out that he worked 3 days a week in Stockholm and the rest of the time from home. Gave me an idea, or I should say it reminded me, that maybe the way to make this all work is to work remotely. Will have to to look into it more but it would be a way to do it, I must make fundamental changes to my life because all work and no play is making Steve a dull boy that’s for sure.

Arrived in Visby and retrieved my fleece. Determined not to spend another night in a vandrahem but at the same time didn’t want to spend a lot of money. Found a hotel with a good deal. Wandered around the town taking in the sights. Ended up chatting with 3 Brits who were stuck on Gotland unable to get back to their ship because of fog. Seems they were all RV operators helping to survey an underwater pipeline. Back at the hotel I just chilled and watched TV. Very relaxing way to end the trip.

No comments: