Friday 16 July 2010

Day 4 – Gangvik to Burgsvik

Today waqs going to be either very easy or very hard. It’s a good 180+ KM to Visby if I follow the route and dont cheat so I either aim to do it in one long day or break it into 2 easier ones. As I am in no hurry I chose the easier option.

My early start wasnt that early as I lingered over breakfast talking to Per and Kikki. A lovely down to earth couple. Further delay caused by a flat tire which turned out to be a leaky valve (they bend so easily!!).

Took a detour through a field and slightly backtracked to check out the amphitheatre that I had been told about the previous evening. Really quite impressive. The route south started off very green and much like yesterday. Rained on and off and was quite cold. Was hoping to have lunch at a place recommended by Per but like most things its closed this early in the season.

Had a bite to eat in a bus shelter but it was no lunch, just something to tide me over until I could find something a bit better. Arrived in the most southern tip of Gotland and as luck would have it I found somewhere. Out in the middle of nowhere I saw quite a bit of traffic coming and going from an unmarked road. Turned out it was a film crew doing a shoot going back and forth to a pensionat (sort of rustic hotel with chalets and bunk beds. They were doing lunch so I had my fill before hitting the road.

Arrived at Burgsvik at about 1600 and decided to call it a day at 105KM. Still too far to go and again what was the point. Followed the signs to a place that was marked as doing accommodation only to find that it had been closed for the last 3 years. As luck would have it 3 young lads were doing it up with the idea of running it as a business this summer. They let me stay even though they aren’t officially open yet. Had the use of a large self contained apartment. They had little idea of how to run a business so I wished them luck. They overcharged for what I had but not by much so I told them what was the going rates were for a vandrahem. They don’t even know how much they are going to charge or how they are going to market themselves (vandrahem, hostel, hotel, B&B?). I was going to chat with them later in the evening but after eating the worlds worst falafel I fell asleep. Slept from 2100 until 0630 though the room was a bit noisy because of the fridge. 

No comments: