Friday 26 May 2017

Day 1 - Tallin to Haapsula

A full day at work followed by a mad dash to the ferry isn't probably the best way to start a cycling holiday. However with a national holiday on Thursday it was just too tempting not to miss the opportunity especially as I am very unsure what vacation I will get this summer as we have so much to do in the UK

Caught the 1730 to Tallinn and once again risked the cabin share option hoping the other occupants don't show up. No such luck though we did have one no show so just the 3 of us. Treated myself to the buffet but kinds wish I hadn't as it was a bit of a zoo. Next time I thing I go to one of the restaraunts as they seemed a lot quieter

Didn't stay up too late as tomorrow is going to be a busy day so had an early night. Slept terribly as it was so hot and I had eaten too much for dinner which is always bad as I tend to get very hot when eating late

Treated myself to breakfast and again wish I hadn't as it was a zoo again. Ship was very busy packed with people taking short breaks by cruising back and forth. Lots of Chinese in particular, no idea why

Boat arrived at 1000 which was go so headed to the Swedbank office for a full day of meetings. Very useful and glad I came as it's given me a lot to think about

Changed into my cycling gear and then headed off. Using Kamoot for the first time which has voice directions and was impressed because they were pretty good and didn't get too lost. If if junctions were a bit confusing the best bit was that the software would tell me almost instant when I had gone wrong

Found my way out of Tallinn and onto the route I had previously planned. Would ideally have gone along the coast and followed the Eurovelo 10 but simply no time tonight. Very aware that my destination is over 100 away and I didnt get on the road before 1600. Tried to cycle as fast as possible as light could become an issue especially dusk

Bike route was excellent with a number of interesting things. Passed a monument to the almost 10% of the Estonian population that were sent to Soviet work camps between 1941 and 1949. In some areas, hence this memorial, over 90% died. Horrendous treatment and I wasn't really aware of this treatment

About half way the route took me onto an old railway which took me all the way to Haapsula. Great bike route but a little restricted as to what there was to see but was made good progress. Made it in less than 5 hours which was pushing it for me. Was just starting to lose the light so good timing

Found the place I was staying which was an old house which I had to myself. Lady was very nice. Quick shower in a tiny bathroom with a sandpaper towel but who cares was just great to wash all the dead bugs off of me.

Popped out for food and a couple of young lads heard me talking English to susie on my phone so they offered me a chip from a bag they were eating. We shook hands and I thanked them, lovely gesture. Susie said contract it might be poisoned but I think k that the risk factor was low 

All I found was a supermarket so bought a microwave pizza. Disgusting, tasted like cardboard smothered with ketchup. Still I was so tired I couldn't care. Bed looked terrible but I was asleep within seconds and slept through

No comments: